Mental wellbeing is just as important as physical wellbeing, and maintaining both is an important part of staying, and feeling well.
Five ways to wellbeing focuses on making small improvements to wellbeing that can help to decrease some mental health problems and help people to flourish.
5 key steps to mental wellbeing
Evidence shows that the actions we take and the way we think have the biggest impact on our wellbeing. It has been suggested that there are five steps we can all take to improve our mental wellbeing:
1. Connect Connect with the people around you: your family, friends, colleagues and neighbours. Spend time developing these relationships.
2. Be active You don’t have to go to the gym. Take a walk, go cycling or play a game of football. See what’s available in your area by viewing our activities.
3. Keep learning Learning new skills can give you a sense of achievement and a new confidence. There are lots of activities that you can get yourself involved in, from joining local cookery classes, to attending a local woodwork/craft group. See what’s on.
4. Give to others Even the smallest act can count – whether it’s a smile, a thank you or a kind word. Larger acts, such as volunteering at your local community centre, can improve your mental wellbeing and help you build new social networks.
5. Be mindful Be more aware of the present moment, including your feelings and thoughts, your body and the world around you. Some people call this awareness “mindfulness”, and it can positively change the way you feel about life and how you approach challenges.