50 things to do before you’re 5
Playing with your child is one of the most important things you can do to support their development.
The time you spend playing together will help them learn all sorts of things – from counting and writing, to exploring and making new friends.
This list below of 50 things to do before you’re 5 will give you lots of ideas to support your child’s learning through play – Complete it online or print it off, stick it on the fridge and tick off each activity!
Share and upload photos of you and your little ones achieving each of the 50 things to the TLC Facebook page and once you’ve completed the list, download your own 50 things to do before you’re 5 certificate from the TLC website.
- Run through long grass (barefoot if you can)
- Lie in the long grass and feel the grass between your toes, fingers tickling your nose
- Go on a walk through the woods in all seasons and weathers! See all the country parks in Essex
- Not near any woods? Go for a walk around your neighbourhood, find a tree and watch it change through the seasons
- Plant and care for a beautiful smelling flower
- Go on a treasure hunt
- Have a teddy bear’s picnic
- Climb a tree
- Play ‘pooh sticks’
- Make an insect house
- Learn to ride a bike and go on a long bike ride
- Care for a pet (no matter how small)
- Play hide and seek
- Take part in an Easter egg hunt at home
- Visit the seaside. Explore, and find treasures at the beach
- Paddle in the sea
- Build sandcastles
- Investigate and discover life in rock pools
- Visit the farm or zoo
- Paint and create as much as you can
- Play make believe, and be who you want to be; a spaceman on the moon or a knight in a castle
- Have a picnic outdoors or indoors with all your favourite treats
- Be an explorer and hunt for bugs
- Help make your own dinner
- Look for worms, and see how they wiggle
- Go for a walk on a windy day. Take a scarf or a kite and see how they fly
- Roll down a hill
- Dig for treasure
- Try baking a cake and lick the spoon!
- Make perfume from flower petals
- Go crabbing
- Make a snow angel and have a snowball fight
- Play with water, pour, explore, wash toy cars
- Use all of the furniture downstairs and all the blankets/towels from upstairs to make a huge den/fort that you can crawl around
- Have a sleepover in the den you’ve made
- Show your grown up how to hit nails into wood, use real tools and be creative with bits and bobs
- . Play in autumn leaves and throw them over your head. Listen for the crunch under foot, then pick your favourites and make your very own leaf man character!
- Read a book under a tree
- Go out in the rain and jump in puddles
- Lie on your back outdoors and watch the clouds
- Go blackberry picking and eat as many as you can!
- Make a mud pie
- Blow a dandelion clock
- Balance on a log
- Chase your shadow on a sunny day
- Catch rain or snow on your tongue
- Go on a torch-lit walk in the dark, look for stars and night time animals
- Sleep in a tent
- Toast marshmallows on a camp fire
- Join the library and borrow some books
Useful websites to visit: