Support for carers

Support for carers

A family carer is someone who, without payment, provides help and support to a partner, child, relative, friend or neighbour, who could not manage without their help. This could be due to age, physical or mental illness, addiction or disability.

If this sounds like you or someone you know, there is support out there, which can be extremely beneficial for your health and wellbeing.

Action for Family Carers

Action for Family Carers is charity that provides support and information to unpaid carers. The charity has grown rapidly in recent years, and now delivers services and support to carers in Braintree, Brentwood, Burnham, Chelmsford, Colchester, Maldon and Mersea Island, and one of the projects is delivered Essex-wide. There is more information on the Action for Family Carers website.

Citizens Advice

Visit the Citizens Advice website to find out about help and support available if you’re responsible for looking after someone who has a disability, is getting old or has become ill. This can range from practical help to make day-to-day life easier to benefits like Carer’s Allowance.

Useful links:
  • Community Agents – an Essex-wide project, providing support to vulnerable adults and their informal carers.
  • Carers UK – provide support to carers, including advice over the telephone.

Livewell Partners